[Beowulf] K Computer built for speed, not use

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Oct 11 08:16:29 PDT 2012

A good example of specialized computing would be the work that DE Shaw is doing.  They're building specialized ASICs (or FPGA programs) tailored for their chemistry applications, to get multiple order of magnitude improvement over general purpose solutions.  Clearly they think it's worthwhile: it's a high risk, high reward sort of industry

Jim Lux