[Beowulf] K Computer built for speed, not use

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed Oct 10 17:05:18 PDT 2012

I haven't seen many benchmarks of the Fujitsu SPARC64 VIIIfx that K
computer is supposed to have,
yet from the outside it seems to me as a very capable CPU.
Complaining one is allowed to do after having
a go at it trying to rewrite software for it.

It's simply not realistic in this many core age to suppose you can
keep running your software without rewriting it
for new architecture, a box which had a cost of 1.4 billion dollar.
If you want to take a look in the future with such
a 1.4 billion dollar box, then you have to write software that can
use it.