[Beowulf] cluster building advice?

Hearns, John john.hearns at mclaren.com
Tue Oct 2 01:36:33 PDT 2012

Interesting.

> Went to ftp.redhat.com and found:
>
> ftp://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/enterprise/6Workstation/en/RHDevToolset/SRPMS/
>
> Downloaded and installed the SRPMS, installed the dependencies via
> yum, and built the RPMS.

I would like to recommend the "mock" [1] tool for building SRPMs in RH
environments. It basically builds a minimal chroot and then builds the
SRPM in the chroot using only the RPMs specified by the SRPM.

Jonathan, that's very interesting.

I find myself doing exactly that - I have one machine which I use as a build machine,
And sure enough it has oddles of -devel packages installed, and I usually have to install one or
two every time I see an interesting package to build.

Does anyone know if there is an equivalent to this for SuSE.
(Yes, Google is my friend. But mailing lists are sources of excellent information).

The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.