[Beowulf] Fwd: warewulf - cannot log into nodes

Duke Nguyen duke.lists at gmx.com
Fri Nov 30 01:43:51 PST 2012

On 11/30/12 12:12 AM, Gus Correa wrote:
> [...]
>>> Hello world!  I am process number: 0 on host node0103
>>>
>>> openmpi also works with torque:
>>>
>>> ----------------
>>> [mpiwulf at biobos:~]$ cat test/KCBATCH
>>> #!/bin/bash
>>> #
>>> #PBS -l nodes=6:ppn=1
>>> #PBS -N kcTEST
>>> #PBS -m be
>>> #PBS -e qsub.er.log
>>> #PBS -o qsub.ou.log
>>> #
>>> { time {
>>> /usr/local/bin/mpirun /home/mpiwulf/test/mpihello
>>> } }&>output.log
>>>
>>> [mpiwulf at biobos:~]$ qsub test/KCBATCH
>>> 21.biobos
>>>
>>> [mpiwulf at biobos:~]$ cat output.log
>>>
>>> The OpenFabrics (openib) BTL failed to initialize while trying to
>>> allocate some locked memory.  This typically can indicate that the
>>> memlock limits are set too low.  For most HPC installations, the
>>> memlock limits should be set to "unlimited".  The failure occured
>>> here:
>>>
>>>     Local host:    node0103
>>>     OMPI source:   btl_openib_component.c:1200
>>>     Function:      ompi_free_list_init_ex_new()
>>>     Device:        mthca0
>>>     Memlock limit: 65536
>>>
>>> You may need to consult with your system administrator to get this
>>> problem fixed.  This FAQ entry on the Open MPI web site may also be
>>> helpful:
>>>
>>> http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=openfabrics#ib-locked-pages

>>> WARNING: There was an error initializing an OpenFabrics device.
>>>
>>>     Local host:   node0103
>>>     Local device: mthca0
>>>
>>> Hello world!  I am process number: 5 on host node0103
>>> Hello world!  I am process number: 0 on host node0104
>>> Hello world!  I am process number: 2 on host node0110
>>> Hello world!  I am process number: 4 on host node0118
>>> Hello world!  I am process number: 1 on host node0109
>>> Hello world!  I am process number: 3 on host node0117
>>> [node0104:02221] 5 more processes have sent help message
>>> help-mpi-btl-openib.txt / init-fail-no-mem
>>> [node0104:02221] Set MCA parameter "orte_base_help_aggregate" to 0 to
>>> see all help / error messages
>>> [node0104:02221] 5 more processes have sent help message
>>> help-mpi-btl-openib.txt / error in device init
>>>
>>> real    0m0.291s
>>> user    0m0.034s
>>> sys     0m0.043s
>>> ----------------
>>>
>>> Unfortunately I still got the problem of "error registering openib
>>> memory" with non-interactive job. Any experience on this would be great.
>> Got it now, though I *do not* really like the solution. I had to edit
>> the pbs_mom daemon:
>>
>> # vi /etc/rc.d/init.d/pbs_mom
>>
>> and make sure to have:
>>
>> ulimit -l unlimited
>> #ulimit -n 32768
>>
>> and now openib works fine :).
>>
>> D.
>>

> Hi Duke
>
> It is great news that you've figured it all and got everything working.

Thanks! :)

> Yes, in a cluster, installing Torque,Maui,
> and any MPI (OpenMPI, MVAPICH2, MPICH2,
> etc) works much better from source than from yum,
> because they can/will be configured to match your hardware,
> the compilers of your choice, allow resource manager support (Torque),
> etc.
> But the yum RPMs are probably fine for work in a single workstation.
> I should have mentioned that in my previous email.

No problem. It was actually better for me, I learnt more :).

> It is worth keeping an eye at the Torque and Maui admin guides and
> mailing lists, and likewise for the various MPI mailing lists,
> as they are active and helpful:
>
> http://www.adaptivecomputing.com/support/documentation/
>
> http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/ompi.php
> http://mvapich.cse.ohio-state.edu/support/mailing_lists.shtml

Thanks, yes, I am already in most of these lists (but have not voiced
much, since I dont even know what to ask :D).

> ***
>
> If you have an NFS filesystem or directory shared across the cluster,
> you can install applications (MPI, compilers, etc) there
> (but for Torque it is better to install it on local disks, as you did).
> This scheme scales OK for small clusters,
> and simplifies the installation and maintenance process.
> Say, if you may want to keep different versions of MPI,
> compiled with different compilers, etc, maintaining everything
> can be time consuming.
> However your solution of creating RPMs works for any cluster,
> and is probably the best for large clusters.

Hum, good to know this :). I decided to build rpms since after
installing with sources (./configure, make, make install) sometimes it
is very hard to remove the package. Installing using rpm is much better
if I want to remove using rpm or yum.

> ***
>
> I suggest that you take a look at the environment modules package,
> which a great tool that allows users to switch
> their environment across different compilers, MPI versions, etc:
>
> http://modules.sourceforge.net/
>
> In my opinion they work much better than hardwiring static choices
> in .bashrc/.tcshrc or in /etc/profile.d

Very interesting and useful advice. I will try this for sure.

> ***
>
> Yes, limits on locked memory are a hurdle for OpenFabrics
> registered memory.
> It seems to be an OpenFabrics problem, not an OpenMPI problem.
> It may affect only the OMPI 1.6 series, not the older 1.4, but I
> am not sure about this.
> There have been several recent posts on the OpenMPI list of problems
> similar to the one you had, if you care to check their archives:
>
> http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/users/
>
> For most real applications and number crunching parallel jobs,
> the default (and small) Linux stacksize may also be a hurdle,
> so you may want to make it unlimited or at least larger.
> Likewise, you may want to increase the maximum
> number of open file handles.  This can be done in the
> pbs_mom script and perhaps also in /etc/security/limits.conf.

I found a much better way: instead of modifying /etc/init.d/pbs_mom, I
created a file /etc/sysconfig/pbs_mom and control the memory there.

Bests,

D.