[Beowulf] hadoop

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Nov 27 07:28:35 PST 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 04:14:06PM +0100, Bogdan Costescu wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 3:40 PM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> > Please do not top-post and please trim your replies.
> Thanks for the reminder ! It bugs me too...
> > I would be
> > looking at least for an Exynos 5...
> > ... to process code locally ...
> I'm still not convinced about computational capabilities of ARM cores.

Me neither, but there's always hope that
will deliver something useful early next year. 32 bit floats are
quite enough for me.

> So how about letting the ARM core deal with I/O and adding a dedicated
> computing unit in form of FPGA ? Not suggesting a (GP)GPU to keep in

That would be great, but no longer woud be COTS.

> line with the low power envelope.

Yes, this is basically not something most supercomputer
users would need. It's a dedicated system to store and
reprocess a very large voxelset. It's basically making
a sea of smarter spindles.

Their result would be processable on a classical cluster,