[Beowulf] hadoop

Andrew Holway andrew.holway at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 01:32:18 PST 2012

Sure. With virtualisation by KVM. (although not sure about the windows and
mac) Maybe VirtualBox?

I'm currently designing a cloud computing platform that uses NFS for the
worker virtual machines (databases and webservers etc) and the local
storage can be exported using gluster or whatever.

Say if you have 5 machines. Each machine has a RAID volume. You can use LVM
to carve up this volume so that one VM can use half of it for Gluster and
another VM could use the other half of it for hadoop.

You can also do the same with individual disks, this disk is for this VM
and this disk is for that vm..

Here is a command I use on my centos 6.3 machines to create a VM with three
disks. Each disk is an LVM logical volume. path=/dev/sdb is just as valid
however.

Took me about a month to properly get my head around KVM.

virt-install
--connect qemu:///system -n cheese36 -r 11264
--vcpus=4
--disk path=/dev/vg0/pcheese36,device=disk,bus=virtio
--disk path=/dev/vg0/cheese36,device=disk,bus=virtio
--disk path=/dev/vg1/cheese36,device=disk,bus=virtio
--vnc
--noautoconsole
--os-type linux
--accelerate
--network=bridge:br0,mac=00:00:00:00:24:00,model=virtio
--pxe
--hvm