[Beowulf] More AMD rumors

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Mon Nov 19 10:23:07 PST 2012

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:

> On Nov 19, 2012, at 6:12 PM, Robert G. Brown wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 19 Nov 2012, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
>>
>>> If you measure memory latency at all 8 cores at the same time, it's
>>> even more horrible.
>>
>> Thanks for a remarkably clear and useful reply, Vincent.  This nearly
>> precisely mirrors my own measurements with a more floating point
>> intensive task.  The larger i7-3770 cache and its 8 operational
>> contexts
>> (it is a four core system but it maintains two completely independent
>> contexts per core, IIRC) seem to give it an overwhelming advantage
>> over
>> the FX with its eight "real" cores but much smaller cache.
>> Interesting
>> to see that this continues with the (I assume) integer/logic intensive
>> chess code.
>
> Maybe you meant saying it correctly but wrote it wrong.
>
> The FX8150 has a huge SLOW L2 cache of 1MB or so (2MB a module) and
> the i7's all have
> a small FAST L2 cache of around 256KB.

Um, from cat /proc/cpuinfo:

processor       : 7
vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
cpu family      : 6
model           : 58
model name      : Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz
stepping        : 9
cpu MHz         : 1600.000
cache size      : 8192 KB

Note well that 8192 KB is 8 MB as of last time I looked.  Although my FX
box is turned off at the moment because it is loud in ADDITION to being
hot, I recall it had a 2 MB cache total.  I'll boot it later today and
look again, but I think I reported all of this on list two weeks ago,
with graphs.

I don't know if these cache sizes are per core or per system, but note
that I'm up to "processor 7" on "core 3" according to other lines.  The
kernel, at least, thinks that the Intel has way more L2 than the AMD.
Since the only way I can possibly interpret my job getting linear
speedup on four cores through eight tasks is for the job to more or less
be executing out of cache so that it was just doing hardware context
switches into separate unblocked ALUs or the like, I sort of believe it.