[Beowulf] More AMD rumors

Douglas Eadline deadline at eadline.org
Mon Nov 19 12:07:23 PST 2012

> On 11/19/2012 09:28 AM, Douglas Eadline wrote:
>> Though not formally announced, Semiaccurate seems to have learned
>> that AMD is leaving the X86 server business.
>>
>> http://semiaccurate.com/2012/11/19/amd-kills-off-big-cores-kaveri-steamroller-and-excavator/
>>

> of course the article was amended at 10:15am to say that AMD contacted
> them to say that Kaveri and the big cores are still on track.

I hope that is true. There was also the "looking for a buyer"
rumor that surfaced last week. In my unofficial discussions with
AMD, they said they are looking forward to APU on server (which
flies in the face of the semiaccurate claim) and that the new
roadmap will get them to back to competing.

The key will be sales of the three major game consoles, all of
which AMD won video deals. If they can work their roadmap
while the console revenues keep them going things might
be looking good in 2-3 years. For now, Intel owns the
street. Although Intel seems to have their howitzer pointed
at NVidia at the moment -- MIC/Phi and all that.

But I have to give Intel soem major geek credit. Bringing the
original Star Trek bridge to SC12 was the highlight of the show.
And yes I sat in Kirk's chair and have the pictures to prove it.

--
Doug

--
Doug