[Beowulf] More AMD rumors

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Mon Nov 19 09:12:57 PST 2012

On Mon, 19 Nov 2012, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:

> If you measure memory latency at all 8 cores at the same time, it's
> even more horrible.

Thanks for a remarkably clear and useful reply, Vincent.  This nearly
precisely mirrors my own measurements with a more floating point
intensive task.  The larger i7-3770 cache and its 8 operational contexts
(it is a four core system but it maintains two completely independent
contexts per core, IIRC) seem to give it an overwhelming advantage over
the FX with its eight "real" cores but much smaller cache.  Interesting
to see that this continues with the (I assume) integer/logic intensive
chess code.

Basically, the i7 looks like a butt-kicking good processor, with the one
problem being that it doesn't look like a multiprocessing cpu (at least
I can't find a dual i7 motherboard, although in principle it appears to
be possible, leaving one with Xeons that don't LOOK like they would
perform as well although I'd be interested in information on that as
well.

At the moment, single processor i7's look like they might actually be
the world's fastest, at least on a per core basis.  OTOH, it might well
be that putting two of them on a single board would horribly saturate
the memory bus and cause memory management collisions and worse and cost
them their advantage.

I'm getting ready to do some very data intensive stuff -- terabyte-scale
datasets being chewed to pieces basically -- to the point where my
"cluster" will probably be a pile of RAIDs each with its own private
copy of the datasets in questions and equipped with an i7 motherboard,
which seems odd somehow (as the i7 motherboards aren't generally
configured as "server" motherboards) but the Xeons all run at lower
clock and are older technology.

Comments from anyone else?

    rgb