[Beowulf] Vietnam

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 19 04:01:19 PST 2012

On Nov 19, 2012, at 9:19 AM, Duke Nguyen wrote:

> Thanks for your very honest advice! Unfortunately it is not similar
> situation like in US, where we can find companies with appropriate
> services to help and assist us. In Vietnam, where we are now, cluster
> systems are already rare. In fact Intel is helping Vietnamese
> Goverment
> to build a first, big HPC cluster:
>
> http://www.hpcwire.com/hpcwire/2012-10-01/hpc_comes_to_vietnam.html

"The initial phase (2012-2015) of the partnership entails building
the HPC research center and deploying a 30-teraflop system, powered
by Intel processors."

Hmm by 2015 that should be 8 Xeon Phi "next generation II", or worst
case 16 cards Xeon Phi "Next Generation"
In case of 8 Xeon Phi next generation, that fits easily at 1
motherboard with a few risercards.

Knowing Xeon Phi right now is around a $2500 roughly, Intel can
easily deliver this entire system i guess for around 8 * 2500 = $20k.

"the second phase, which would run to 2020, will involve a system
upgrade to a 200-teraflop machine. The release goes on to state that
after 2020"

That's roughly factor 6 more than planning for 2015. Using Moore's
Law we've had in 5 years time : 5 / 1.5 = more than 3 doublings of
transistors, so that's roughly factor 12.

So this press release planning doesn't really follow Moore's Law.
It's not a 'closing the gap' press release,