[Beowulf] PXE boot with X7DWT-INF IB onboard card

Hearns, John john.hearns at mclaren.com
Mon Nov 12 03:53:47 PST 2012

Hi folks,

We are still on the way of building our first small-cluster. Right now
we have 16 diskless nodes 8GB RAM on X7DWT-INF and a master also on

Also, if you are rolling your own cluster, learn how to configure the IPMI
cards on the motherboards (referred to as BMCs also)
You use IPMI/BMC cards to provide remote serial consoles via the head node,
and to remotely power up/power down the nodes.

You do NOT want to go down to the server room and plug in a monitor/keyboard to these systems
Every time one goes down and you want to run some diagnostics on it, or figure out why it is not booting.

Similarly you want to remotely control the power to the nodes, simply by ssh into the cluster head node
and powering them up and down from the comfort of your swivel chair.

The contents of this email are confidential and for the exclusive use of the intended recipient.  If you receive this email in error you should not copy it, retransmit it, use it or disclose its contents but should return it to the sender immediately and delete your copy.