[Beowulf] how cluster's storage can be flexible/expandable?

Duke Nguyen duke.lists at gmx.com
Thu Nov 8 19:47:21 PST 2012

Hi all,

I don't understand how the cluster's storage can be expandable on the
fly (hot swap?) without affecting current data and usage. We have a file
server with 32 swapable trays, and we can configure the disks with any
RAID we want. My understand is that for this storage to be available on
the cluster we have to do the following steps:

1. put disks in enclosures (swap if any disk fails etc...)
2. configure raid to have a disk volume on the file server
3. format disk volume to be usable in the file server
4. mount the disk volume
5. share it to the cluster

I know that we can hot-swap any failed disk in the first step, and the
2nd step can be done automatically by the RAID software, but the admin
still has to finish the next three steps to make the new storage
available. This process then can affect the whole disk volume created
before.

So, let say if we have 30TB on a file server shared to the cluster, and
the cluster uses them all, and we want to add 10TB more into that, how
would we do? Please advise us.

Thanks,

D.