[Beowulf] Digital Image Processing via HPC/Cluster/Beowulf - Basics

Douglas Eadline deadline at eadline.org
Mon Nov 5 09:07:46 PST 2012

> From: CJ O'Reilly <supaiku at gmail.com<mailto:supaiku at gmail.com>>
> Date: Saturday, November 3, 2012 3:47 PM
> To: Mark Hahn <hahn at mcmaster.ca<mailto:hahn at mcmaster.ca>>
> Cc: "beowulf at beowulf.org<mailto:beowulf at beowulf.org>"
> <beowulf at beowulf.org<mailto:beowulf at beowulf.org>>
> Subject: Re: [Beowulf] Digital Image Processing via HPC/Cluster/Beowulf -
> Basics
>

> Thanks, infoative: p
> I'll consider your advice.
>
> If i read correctly, it seems the answer to the question about programming
> was: yes, a program must be written to accommodate a cluster. Did i get
> you right?
>

>>> You got that right
  But bear in mind that for your task (whatever it
>>> is), someone might have written most of the pieces you need already.
>>> If you're using some computationally intensive utility (finite element
>>> modeling or raytraced graphics, for instance) as the underpinnings of
>>> your problem may already be cluster-aware.
>
> But Mark's comments are very true.. In general, there is NO turnkey
> solution and whatever is out there will be fine for some parts of your
> problem and a pain for others.  So spending a bit of time figuring out
> what it is you are trying to do, and what the parallelization/HPC parts
> are is worth it.  No point in a flexible multi-user resource allocation
> system with fancy schedulers and job pre-emption if you're the only user
> of the box, for instance.
>
> It might be worth building a "toy" cluster with, say, 4 nodes working
> against a file server, and fooling around a bit with workloads like the
> one you are planning to get a feel for it.  Don't go for performance, but
> try to understand how your workload can be divided up, and what the
> information flows are (lots of node to node, or very little? .. Shared
> disk gets hit all the time?)

<shameless plug>

  http://limulus.basement-supercomputing.com/

  Four motherboards, GigE, one power supply and case, 200+ CPU GFLOPS

  The final software, due out next week, will be a complete open source
  stack built on Scientific Linux 6.x  with Warewulf, Grid Scheduler,
  MPI, popular libraries, and Julia. All integrated ready to run.

  See below about ClusterMonkey.net as well -- a good resource (I did
  say shameless)

</shameless plug>

--
Doug

> There are a variety of cluster in a box things out there to get started (I
> hesitate to suggest any, because they may not exist any more)  (back when,
> I tried ClusterMatic, and Rocks.)   It really doesn't matter what you use,
> because as Mark points out, it probably is pretty clunky in some ways, but
> by experiencing the clunkyness, you'll instantly become more expert.  And
> worst case, you've spent a week of your life doing it.
>
> Really, a week's playing around can be invaluable.  (I wonder if people
> offer short courses on this.. It might be useful for people where the
> manager comes in and says, my boss said we should look at putting X on a
> cluster, can you write up a white paper in a month to lay it all out)
>

> http://www.clustermonkey.net/  might be a decent resource on putting
> together a low end cluster
>
> Check out their projects and getting started sections..
>

> --
> Mailscanner: Clean

Doug

--