[Beowulf] Digital Image Processing via HPC/Cluster/Beowulf - Basics

Reuti reuti at staff.uni-marburg.de
Sun Nov 4 09:48:02 PST 2012

Am 03.11.2012 um 23:10 schrieb Mark Hahn:

>> <snip>
>> let users pick which machine to run on,
> for instance.  that sounds crazy, but if you're the only one using it, why
> bother with a scheduler?

To serialize your workflow. Besides using GridEngine in the clusters, I install it even locally on the workstations of the users (which are not part of the clusters). They can submit a bunch of jobs to their local machine Friday evening without oversubscribing the machine, and they will be handled in a proper way regarding memory and cores.

>  HPC can also be done without inter-job
> communication - if your jobs are single-node serial or threaded, for
> instance.  and you may not need any sort of management/provisioning,
> depending on the stability of your nodes, environment, expected lifetime,
> etc.

What about ScaleMP / Kerrighed to make a single machine out of many - has anyone experience with it and uses it in a cluster?

http://www.scalemp.com/ http://www.kerrighed.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

-- Reuti