[Beowulf] Digital Image Processing via HPC/Cluster/Beowulf - Basics

Mark Hahn hahn at mcmaster.ca
Sat Nov 3 16:42:29 PDT 2012

> Thanks, infoative: p
> I'll consider your advice.
>
> If i read correctly, it seems the answer to the question about programming
> was: yes, a program must be written to accommodate a cluster. Did i get you
> right?

it depends what you mean.  if you have a program which is written
so that it can be run from a script, then a cluster can immediately
let you run lots of them.  if you're expecting a cluster to speed
up a single instance, then you'll probably be disappointed.

in short, clustering doesn't speed up any of the computers in the cluster.
it just makes it more convenient to get multiple computers working.
if you want multiple computers to work on the same program, then
someone has to make it happen: divide up the work so each computer
and put together the results.

suppose you're trying to detect a particular face in all your images.
you could have once machine searching an image, then going onto the next.
basically, that one node is running a simple scheduler that runs jobs:
 	lookforface face.png image0.png
 	lookforface face.png image1.png
 	lookforface face.png image2.png

if you want, you can divide up the work - send every other image to a
second machine.  in general, this would mean that a scheduler reads
from that same list and dispatches one line (job) at a time to any
node that isn't already busy.  when a job completes, that node gets
another job, and eventually all the work is done.

"embarassingly parallel" just means you have enough images to keep all your
machines busy this way.

if you don't have that many images, you might want to try to get more than
one machine working on the same image.  a simple way to do that would be
to (imaginarily) divide each image into, say, quadrants, so 4 machines can
work on the same image (each getting a quarter of the image - with some
overlap so targets along the border don't get missed.)  to be specific,
your list of jobs could be like this:
 	lookforface face.png image0.png 0
 	lookforface face.png image0.png 1
 	lookforface face.png image0.png 2
 	lookforface face.png image0.png 3
 	lookforface face.png image1.png 0
 	lookforface face.png image1.png 1
where 'lookforface' only looks for the face in the specified quadrant of
the input image.  the most obvious problem with this approach is that
1-quadrant search may take too little time relative to the overhead of
setting up each job.  which includes accessing face.png and image0.png,
even if only a quadrant of the latter is used.  in general, this kind of
issue is called "load balance", and is really the single most fundamental
issue in HPC.

if you wanted to pursue this direction, you could optimize by reducing
the cost of distributing the images.  if image0.png is quite large,
then access through a shared filesystem might be efficient (if the FS
block size is comparable to 1/2 the width of one image row.)  if image0.png
is smaller, then you could distribute that information "manually" by running
a job which reads the image one one node and distributes quadrants to
other nodes.  the obvious way to do this would be via MPI, which is
pretty friendly to matrices like decompressed images.  this could even
operate on pieces smaller than a quadrant - in fact, you could divide the
work however finely you like.  though as before, divide it too fine, and the
per-chunk overhead dominates your cost, destroying efficiency.

note that this refinement has merely changed who/how the work is being
divided and data being communicated.  in the simple case, work was divided
at the command/job/scheduler level and data transmitted by file.  the more
fine-grained approach has subsumed some scheduling into your program, and
is communicating the data explicitly over MPI.

basically, someone has to divide up work, and data has to flow to where it's
used.  you could take this further: a single MPI program that runs on all
nodes of the cluster at once and distributes work among MPI ranks.  this
would be the most programming effort, but would quite possibly be the most
efficient.  often, the amount of time needed to perform one unit of work
is not constant - this can cause problems if your division of labor is too
rigid.  (consider the MPI-searches-4-quadrants approach: if one quadrant
takes very little time, then the CPU associated with that quadrant will be
twiddling its thumbs while the other quadrants get done.)

I have, of course, completely fabricated this whole workflow.  it becomes
more interesting when the work has other dimensions - for instance, if you
are searching 1M images for any of 1k faces.  or if you are really hot to
use a convolution approach so will be fourier-transforming all the images
before performing any matching.  or if you want to use GPUs, etc.

TL;DR it's a good thing I type fast ;)

in any case, your first step should be to look at the time taken to get
inputs to a node, and then how long it takes to do the computation.
life is easy if setup is fast and compute is long.  that stuff is far more
important than choosing a particular scheduler or cluster package.

regards, mark hahn.

operator may differ from spokesperson.	            hahn at mcmaster.ca