[Beowulf] Supercomputers - iPad versus Cray

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Mar 8 06:27:15 PST 2012

Of some interest is Jack Dongarra's measurements on the iPad
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/09/the-ipad-in-your-hand-as-fast-as-a-supercomputer-of-yore/

And his speculation on a cluster.  (wouldn't be a Beowulf: not commodity hardware, not open source OS, etc.)

While it might do the flops, the interconnect bandwidth is quite low. I assume it would have to use WiFi (I don't know how fast the tether port is, but I don't think it's a real ball o'fire.   It's hard to measure.  You can plug a USB disk drive into the photo adapter so maybe your interconnect could simulate that.