[Beowulf] Caption Competition

Greg Lindahl lindahl at pbm.com
Tue Jun 19 00:18:09 PDT 2012

On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 11:39:12AM -0400, Mark Hahn wrote:

> we have a location with a raised floor of ~4 ft.  I'm not sure how
> that was chosen, but I also can't think of any reason why not.
> I mean, in general, raised floors are a chilled air plenum,
> so it's clearly good to avoid narrow ones.  (the DC I set next to
> has about 16", and 2-8" of that is consumed by cables.)

Beats me how people design these things, but yeah, deep floors aren't
that unusual, although I suppose I've heard of them mostly in places
where data cabling is under the floor. The standard in the Silicon
Valley these days is to run data cables above the racks, and power
cables under the floor, if possible.

As for DCs which don't have raised floors at all, they are common in
the Silicon Valley. They tell me that they use momentum to get the
cold air from the duct in the ceiling to the floor. As far as I can
tell, that works fine, i.e., the one data center that I've had nodes
in which had inadequate cooling and no raised floor, the coolest nodes
were still on the bottom.

-- greg

p.s. we should grab the archives and move the list to a server that
"we" control. Just sayin'