[Beowulf] Status of beowulf.org?

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Fri Jun 15 16:10:26 PDT 2012

On 06/15/2012 06:49 PM, Bill Broadley wrote:
> On 06/15/2012 12:25 PM, Jan Wender wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Arend from Penguin replied and they are looking for the list. They would
>> like to continue hosting the list, but would ask for some volunteers to
>> administrate it.
>
> Well if they are doing such a poor job and aren't willing to
> administrate it we should move it elsewhere.

Hmmm  ... I pinged my contact within Penguin and was told they were
working on it.  This said, I seem to remember that beowulf.org was Scyld
property before the acquisition by Penguin.  Looking at the whois output
somewhat confirms ownership.

If this is the case, "we" can't move it "elsewhere" without the owners
(Penguin's) permission.

I think that part of why its fallen by the wayside at Penguin is due to
Don taking up residence at Nvidia, and no one either stepping up to it
or being assigned to it.

All of this said, if a reasonable proposal is made to Penguin about
helping to run/administer it, I think they might be willing to consider
it.  If, on the other hand, it is approached in a somewhat more brusque
manner, I wouldn't hold a refusal to consider proposals against them.

So far, we, Chris Samuel, Doug Eadline, Jon A, and a few others have
indicated a willingness to help.  I can't say I like mailman very much
(set many up, royal PIA to deal with IMO), but Chris Samuel has good
mailman-foo.  Might make sense to enable admin by Chris and a small
group of mailman-gurus.  I've got (whether I like it or not) web-foo ...
and mail server foo ... and would be happy to help there.  Doug/Jon/...
have foo of all sorts, and would certainly help out.  If we needed
distributed carbon-bots for moderation, this is doable (Chris might be
able to comment on this).

We would (my company) be happy to setup/donate a small server with
storage to run this if Penguin wants to get completely out.  We could
host it as well at our site.  Could also run it on EC2, though I can
tell you that this is not nearly as cheap as Amazon might wish you to
think.  The cost benefit doesn't really work so well for this ...

Lots of possibilities.

Seems to me though, that one of the natural leaders of this would be
Doug Eadline.  Don't know where ClusterMonkey sits, but that is a well
run site.

Just sayin...

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D