[Beowulf] Easy clustering

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Thu Jun 14 08:24:18 PDT 2012

On 06/14/2012 08:29 AM, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
> Reuti, what i mean
>
> I have used webmin, but I hear mixed reviews about in terms of security
> vulnerabilities. I wonder how a python based web framework would work in
> this type of environment. Has anyone tried out in ubuntu 12.04 the Metal
> as a service (MAAS) stuff?

I think there are several different things being mixed in here.

Clustering as in Beowulf clustering?

Clustering as in building/managing a group of related machines, but not
necessarily beowulf?

Then you asked about Ubuntu.

Ok ...  I think we need clarification on what sort of cluster you are
talking about ... but I can answer the ubuntu question.

We are currently running 2x Ubuntu 12.04 servers in the amazon cloud to
handle mail and web for us.  Started right before our move to our new
digs (c.f. http://scalableinformatics.com/location ), and we are
continuing to run it there.  Basically this is for seamless continuity
more than anything else.  Once we get our second network line into the
facility, we'll probably "retire" one of these, and use the other as a
smaller instance for mail forwarding.

Since we are doing this as virtualized instances, we wouldn't do
serious/significant resource intensive computing on it.  Works great for
a web/mail server though.  If we were doing hard core computing, we'd go
with one of the other instance types.

I manage these through CLI.  Certificate based ssh access.

> Regards
>
> Jonathan Aquilina
>

> On 14 Jun 2012, at 12:26, Reuti wrote:
>
>> Am 14.06.2012 um 10:03 schrieb Jonathan Aquilina:
>>
>>> What i was thinking is there an easy front end UI that one can
>>> install lets say on their normal mac pc to manage their cluster and
>>> all sorts of aspects of the cluster.
>>
>> How do you define "manage"? Remote KVM, installation by PXE, control
>> by ipmitools, queue control,...
>>
>> -- Reuti
>>

>>> Regards
>>>
>>> Jonathan Aquilina