[Beowulf] Torrents for HPC

Peter pc7 at sanger.ac.uk
Wed Jun 13 08:43:53 PDT 2012

On 13/06/12 12:21, Ellis H. Wilson III wrote:
> On 06/13/12 10:59, Peter wrote:
>>> With a 160TB cluster and only a 30-60GB dataset, is there any reason why
>>> the user isn't simply storing their dataset in HDFS?  Does the data
>>> change frequently via a non-MapReduce framework such that it needs to be
>>> pulled from NFS before every job?  If the dataset is in a few dozen
>>> files and in HDFS in the cluster, there is no reason why MapReduce
>>> shouldn't spawn it's tasks directly "on" the data, without need (most of
>>> the time) for moving all of the data to every node as you mention.
>>      From experience this can have varied results and still requires careful
>> management/thought. With HDFS if the replicate number is 3 (often the
>> default case) and the 30 node cluster has 500 jobs then either an
>   >  initial step is required to replicate the data to all other cluster
>   >  nodes and then perform the analysis (this imposes the expected network /
>   >  disk IO impact and job start up latency already in place).
>   >

> It really shouldn't require much management, nor initial data movement
> at all.  BTW, I understood 500 jobs to be totally agnostic about each
> other, as if they were calculating different things using the same
> dataset.  If these are 500 tasks within the same job, well, that's an
> entirely different matter.  If they are just jobs, it really doesn't
> matter if there are 5 or 500, as by default with Hadoop 0.20 at least
> jobs are executed in FIFO order.  Further, if the user programmed his or
> her application to be configurable for number of mappers and reducers,
> it is trivial to match the number of mappers to the slots in the system
> and reducers similarly (though often reducers is something much lower,
> like 1 per node).
>
> Assuming the 30GB dataset is in 30 1GB files, which shouldn't be hard to
> guarantee or achieve, each node will get 1 of these files.  Therefore
> the user simply specifies that he or she wants (let's assume 2 map slots
> per node) 60 map tasks, and Hadoop will silently try to make sure each
> task ends up on one of the three nodes (assuming default triplication)
> that have a local data copy.
>
>> Alternatively keep the replication at 3 (or a.n.other defined number)
>> and limit the number of jobs to the available resources where the data
>> replicates  pre-exist. The challenge is finding the sweet spot for the
>> work in progress and as always nothing is ever free.
> With only 30 nodes and 30 to 60GB of data, I think it is safe to assume
> the data exists /everywhere/ in the cluster.  Even if Hadoop was stupid
> and randomly selected a node there would be a 1/10 chance the data was
> already there, and it's not stupid, so it will check all three of the
> nodes with replicas before spawning the task elsewhere.  Now if there
> are 1000 nodes and just 30GB of data, then Hadoop will make sure your
> tasks are prioritized on the nodes that have your data or at least, in
> the same rack as the nodes that have it.

> [...]
Many thanks for your comments Ellis,

I read the initial Q that the full data set may be required by any job
so an upgrade to my personal filters may be required :). If this were
the case then post job submission it becomes a wait until a node with
the data becomes available or alternatively a copy to a.n.other node
needs to take place before it can be used for the task at hand. At this
point it's sort of a balance between how many nodes are available
immediately for the task and how long do you wish to wait, either for
the FIFO tasks to complete on a subset of available nodes or the copy to
take place.

Given that 30-60Gb is small enough copy everywhere, that sort of takes
things full circle to the initial rsync options (and variants)
previously discussed to local disk. Although I apologise if I'm
miss-interpreting the above.

The comment regarding the obscuring the replication process was directed
more towards the user experience, they don't need to know it
automagically happens BUT behind the scenes the copies are happening all
the same, with the expected impact incurred on IO etc. So HDFS doesn't
make the process impact free.

If you are able to send more to the list regarding HDFS plan B that
would be great and certainly something I'd be interested in hearing more
about. Do you have a blog or similar with references regarding any of
the above ? If so that would be much appreciated.

Thanks again and good luck with the multiple NAS option.
Pete