[Beowulf] Desktop fan reccommendation

Daniel Pfenniger Daniel.Pfenniger at unige.ch
Wed Jun 6 02:38:24 PDT 2012

Nathan Moore wrote:
> All,
>
> This is barely beowuf related...
>
> New desktop machine is a Shuttle SX79R5,
> http://us.shuttle.com/barebone/Models/SX79R5.html
>
> In the past, shuttles have been very quiet, but this one has a fairly loud
> variable speed fan on the CPU heat exchanger.  I normally buy replacement parts
> from vendors like newegg, but their selection of 90mm case fans mainly seems to
> be described by CFM and whether the fan has LED lights mounted in it (FYI, that
> is not a selling point).
>
> So, is there an engineer's version of newegg that ya'll know about? There must
> be a super quiet 90mm fan out there that I can pick up for $10...

I remind ads for quiet and more efficient rotor-less fans for PC's but
cannot find such products anymore.

The idea was to maximize the air flow area by displacing the central motor
to the blade edges.  Not only the larger central area would allow a lower,
quieter blade speed, but the blades being accelerated at their extremities
by the circular motor would be mechanically more stable, less subject to
vibrations.  My guess is that such fans, although technically better, were
too expensive in regard of the advantages.

The Dyson bladeless and silent fans are based om a different principle,
a cylindrical thin air layer carries along the inner air column, the
air flow is then laminar (http://www.dyson.com/store/fans.asp).

	Dan