[Beowulf] rear door heat exchangers

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Tue Jan 31 15:47:18 PST 2012

Maybe there's an issue with the weight and or flexible tubing on a swinging door?

The Hoffman products in Andrew's email, I think, aren't the kind that hang on a door, more hang on the side of a large box/cabinet (Type 4,12, 3R enclosure) or wall.

They're also air/air heat exchanges or airconditioners (and vortex coolers.. but you don't want one of those unless you have a LOT of compressed air available)

http://www.42u.com/cooling/liquid-cooling/liquid-cooling.htm
shows "in-row liquid cooling" but I think that's sort of in parallel

They do mention, lower down on the page, "Rear Door Liquid Cooling"
But I notice that the Liebert XDF-5 which is basically a rack and chiller deck in one, only pulls out 14kW.

>From DoE:
http://www1.eere.energy.gov/femp/pdfs/rdhe_cr.pdf

They refer the ones installed at LLBL  as RDHx units, but carefully avoid telling you the brand or any decent data.  They do say they cost $6k/door, and suck up 10-11kW/rack with 9 gal/min flow of 72F water.

Googling RDHx turns up "CoolCentric.com"
http://www.coolcentric.com/resources/data_sheets/Coolcentric-Rear-Door-Heat-Exchanger-Data-Sheet.pdf

33kW is as good as they can do.

I also note that they have no fans in them.