[Beowulf] cpu's versus gpu's - was Intel buys QLogic InfiniBand business

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Jan 30 15:25:49 PST 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: beowulf-bounces at beowulf.org [mailto:beowulf-bounces at beowulf.org] On Behalf Of Joe Landman
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2012 3:10 PM
To: beowulf at beowulf.org
Subject: Re: [Beowulf] cpu's versus gpu's - was Intel buys QLogic InfiniBand business

On 01/30/2012 06:07 PM, Peter St. John wrote:
> Instead of appointing a moderator, we could grow one with recursive
> Page Ranking (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_ranking) (in math we
> knew about this type of thing a while ago because of "citation
> analysis", see the link).

Please ... no moderator.  Lists get boring while waiting for content filtering organisms to fulfill their voluntary tasks ...

If you don't like someone's writing, filter them.

--
I agree.
However, there is also "after the fact moderation".. all posts go through by default, but someone acts as a "list conscience" and gently (or not so gently) applies a corrective force, presumably using some sort of adaptive algorithm (different people have different "plant characteristics" so the optimal controller changes).

But that requires an even deft-er touch and thicker skin.

All lists with participation by knowledgeable and opinionated people with varied interests and specialization tend to go off on tangents occasionally.  You just delete when needed, and wait for the transient to die out.  My best guess is that about 48 hours is how long the transient lasts (because it takes two cycles, for those who read the list once a day, to realize that it's died out and not keep feeding it)