[Beowulf] Intel buys QLogic InfiniBand business

Håkon Bugge h-bugge at online.no
Fri Jan 27 11:29:35 PST 2012

Greg,

On 23. jan. 2012, at 20.55, Greg Lindahl wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 11:28:26AM -0800, Greg Lindahl wrote:
>
>> http://www.hpcwire.com/hpcwire/2012-01-23/intel_to_buy_qlogic_s_infiniband_business.html
>
> I figured out the main why:
>
> http://seekingalpha.com/news-article/2082171-qlogic-gains-market-share-in-both-fibre-channel-and-10gb-ethernet-adapter-markets
>
>> Server-class 10Gb Ethernet Adapter and LOM revenues have recently
>> surpassed $100 million per quarter, and are on track for about fifty
>> percent annual growth, according to Crehan Research.
>
> That's the whole market, and QLogic says they are #1 in the FCoE
> adapter segment of this market, and #2 in the overall 10 gig adapter
> market (see
> http://seekingalpha.com/article/303061-qlogic-s-ceo-discusses-f2q12-results-earnings-call-transcript)

That can explain why QLogic is selling, but not why Intel is buying.

10 years ago, Intel went _out_ of the Infiniband marked, see http://www.networkworld.com/newsletters/servers/2002/01383318.html

So has the IB business evolved so incredible well compared to what Intel expected back in 2002? Do not think so.

I would guess that we will see message passing/RDMA over Thunderbolt or similar.

Håkon