[Beowulf] cpu's versus gpu's - was Intel buys QLogic InfiniBand business

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Thu Jan 26 04:35:40 PST 2012

On Jan 26, 2012, at 1:28 PM, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:

> Mike you replied to me not to mailing list.
>
> note that itanium2 released too late and it was $100k a box
> initially and $7500 a cpu (1.5Ghz) if you ordered a 1000.
> And it had same IPC for integers like opteron at the time (later on
> compilers got pgo for opteron as well and then opteron was faster,
> at least for diep, in ipc).
>
> Larrabee indeed resembles itanium to some extend, but not quite.
> intels expertise is producing highclocked cpu's. itanium was a low
> clocked cpu and therefore failed.
> no one pays big bucks for a low clocked cpu. look on ebay -
> cheapest cpu's always the lowclocked ones.
>
> larrabee is something in between a cpu and a gpu so total other
> ballgame - intel moving to a market where they actually have
> competition
> and are not the ones owning the patents.
>
> So that's not gonna be easy for intel some years from now if they
> show up with a 100% vectorized design and not some dreadnought
> in between cpu and gpu which is low clocked.
>
> As for your infiniband remark realize that it took 25 years or so
> to bugfix ethernet everywhere - forget 'setting a new standard'
> there for the average Joe.
> Not gonna work.
>
> Infiniband is meant for HPC and uses MPI protocol to communicate.
> This is very powerful for clusters and the way to go when scaling
> at supercomputers,
> yet it's not gonna conquer average joe's machine, as there is a
> price to pay which is too high for now.
>
> However realize some of sales of the HPC manufacturers goes to low
> latency ethernet - my guess is that intel will use qlogics know how
> there to improve
> their cheapo cpu's and upgrade them with better ethernet. Seems
> plausible goal and a very useful one, the rest, such as rivalling
> Mellanox at ethernet,
> that's not gonna happen.

Oops small typo during speedy write. "mellanox at ethernet" should of
course be 'mellanox at HPC'.

The question is whether typical low latency ethernet products are
gonna suffer from intels move. I doubt solarflare will.
they already deliver this stuff only to those who really battle for
every picosecond, so price is just not the issue there.

Vincent