[Beowulf] cpu's versus gpu's - was Intel buys QLogic InfiniBand business

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 25 16:46:57 PST 2012

The supercomputing codes i saw run on processors, to say polite, were
losing it everywhere.

Also NASA when porting from Origin3800 to Itanium2 1.5Ghz, reported
publicly a speedup of factor 2 in the forums.

However my own chessprogram, not exactly optimized for itanium2, got
a boost of factor 4 moving from 500Mhz R14000 (origin3800)
to itanium2 1.3Ghz. That was just a single compile, and it's an
integer program, whereas the itanium2 is a floating point processor.

The itanium2 1.5Ghz has 6 gflops on paper versus the R14k 500Mhz has
1 Gflop on paper.

Now a Chinese reporter posted on THIS mailing list, the beowulf
mailing list, already at GPU hardware some generations ago
an IPC of 25% at nvidia and 50% at AMD.

At the same gpu's back then, most studentprojects got around 25% at
nvidia; Volkov then went ahead and understood GPU's better
and scored 70% efficiency - again at very old gpu's. Sincethen they
really improved.

See: http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~volkov/

So you want to build a supercomptuer now 10x more expensive, and each
generation lose more efficiency on newer hardware,
whereas some who do effort to write new good code, they get very high
efficiency?

Just learn how to program and ignore the desinformation - if you have
a box that fast you really can get a lot of speed out of it.

You shouldn't ask for a 1 billion dollar box that can run your
oldschool Fortran codes as good as a 5 million GPU box,
look what you can do to write good codes for that manycore hardware.
OpenGL works at all, CUDA just at nvidia.

Vincent