[Beowulf] Intel buys QLogic InfiniBand business

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 23 17:55:41 PST 2012

On Jan 24, 2012, at 2:07 AM, Douglas Eadline wrote:

>>> wonder what Intel's thinking - could do some very interesting stuff,
>>> but it would take a bit of charisma.  QPI-over-IB anyone?
>>
>> That's what I'm thinking!
>
> Numascale does this already with SCI

They sold 300 systems, is claim on homepage. Not exactly what intel
aims for. I bet they instead aim to sell half a billion cpu's with
built in ethernet - let's face it their NICs started to get outdated.

For HPC it won't be a slamming succes let alone give you any
performance.

After all what's price of 1000 SoC's with 1000 tiny cpu's on it, that
together produce you 1 teraflop,
versus 1 manycore that produces 1 teraflop?

This is not what you buy Qlogics for.

Maybe it was just a cheap buy for the number of patents they posses,
and the big need within intel for some engineers
that can improve their cpu's with connectivity that the average user
will like; as for HPC,
moving those engineers within intel to the areas where intel can make
most cash, that's with cpu's and not with HPC
hardware, seems Mellanox gets a monopoly on HPC network performance.