[Beowulf] cpu's versus gpu's - was Intel buys QLogic InfiniBand business

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 23 17:44:10 PST 2012

In hardware you cannot beat manycore performance CPU's at the same
cost structure;
cpu's have an exponential cost structure, for example to maintain
cache-coherency.

This has many implications; for example also on size and scale.
If you produce a 1000 mm^2 cpu this is extremely expensive with real
low yields,
whereas a 1000 mm^2 manycore is not a problem at all; cores that do
not work you
can just turn off. There is no coherency.

So if you produce bigger cpu's, the price goes up per square
millimeter, with manycores it scales near lineair.

If i remember well at 2007 a NCSA director already had put the
implication
of this reality in his sheets, assuming by 2010 NCSA would build
supercomputers
exclusively using manycores.

Note that manycores are not ideal for chess - they are however
possible to use for majority of system
time that gets burned in HPC as majority of HPC needs throughput
rather than latency.

Comparing bluegene machines with gpu's makes perfect sense of course
as the latency
on them is also total crap.

I see the bluegene system by IBM as a genius move from IBM, starting
an evolution,
moving away from huge expensive cpu's where you produce just a
handful from in a total
outdated proces technology, with extremely bad yields,
with a milliondollar of startup costs, which by now woud be at todays
factories approaching
20 million dollar startup costs just to print a  single batch of
processors.

IBM developing power8 will have a serious problem with newer
generation factories.
Every batch they print, every mistake it has, DANG 20 million dollar
gone.

This concept of using simple cpu's, yet not that massively produced
yet, obviously evoluted now
into a gpu, which is 1 total mass produced cheap chip, that
integrates all those tiny cores into 1 cpu, which is way
cheaper.

What's price of a bluegene system per teraflop?

It's 500 euro for a 1 teraflop double precision Radeon HD7970...