[Beowulf] Intel buys QLogic InfiniBand business

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Mon Jan 23 11:59:30 PST 2012

Interesting article.

Difficult for me analyse - usually you sell your business when it's a
succes, or when you want to run away.
Not sure which of the 2 it is here.

Maybe some years from now with some support from Intel that Qlogic
also can unroll FDR. Right now they're stuck with QDR,
which on their homepage they announce as 40 gigabit per second.

http://www.qlogic.com/Products/adapters/Pages/InfiniBandAdapters.aspx

Showing the Qlogic 7300 series.

Mellanox is slamdunking with FDR now, the new generation network
which is double the bandwidth i suppose from QDR,
which already got unrolled a few months ago and should be shipping by
now.

Qlogic AFAIK didn't even announce their next generation network yet,
let alone display it
and still toys with QDR, which is what i toy at home with. Fact they
announced 'improving' the oldie QDR
i would interpret as bad news for innovating to FDR.

Maybe someone from Mellanox wants to comment on FDR and whether it's
double the bandwidth of QDR,
as i suppose some will be monitoring this list.