[Beowulf] A cluster of Arduinos

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 11 18:03:21 PST 2012

The whole purpose of PC's is that they are generic to use. I remember
how in past decision taking bought low clocked junk for big price -
much against the wish of the sysadmins who wanted a PC for every
student exclusively. Outdated slow junk is not interesting
to students. Now you and i might like that CPU as it's under $1, but
to them it's just 70Mhz, factor 500 slower than their home PC single
core
is. What impresses is if you got something that can beat their own
machine at home.

In the end in science we basically learn a lot easier if we can take
a look into the future - so being faster than a single PC is a good
example of that.

So let them do that. If you take care you launch 1 proces on each
machine, then at quadcore machines, not to mention i7's with
hyperthreading, you can have 24 computers on 1 switch that serve 24
students, each using 12 logical cores.

And for demonstration purposes you can run succesful applications
also at all 24 computers at the same time.

Hey there is switches with even more slots.

Average price per student is gonna beat the crap out any junk
solution you show up with - besides how many are you gonna buy?

Those computers are already there, one for each student i suspect.

So they can exclusively toy and toy - for the switch it's not a real
problem except if they really mess up.

But most important they learn something - by toying with 70Mhz
hardware that's not representative and only intersting to experts like
you and me, who are real good in embedded programming, they don't
learn much.

There is no replacement for the real thing to test upon.

Besides if you go program at embedded processors, writing good fast
single CPU code mine is probably gonna kick the hell out of you writing
the same program at 8 CPU's. Probably by factor 10+ it'll be single
core faster than you at 8.

p.s. not that it's disturbing Jim but your replies are typed within
my original message always, so tough to read sometimes what you typed
into
the message i posted here -  maybe this apple macbookpro's
mailing system doesn't know how to handle it - FYI i want to reformat
it to linux anyway -
getting sick being hacked silly each time by about every other
consultant,
but well this is all off topic - so hence the postscriptum.