[Beowulf] A cluster of Arduinos

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Wed Jan 11 16:36:37 PST 2012

Yes this was impossible to explain to a bunch of MiT folks as well,
some of whom wrote your book i bet - yet the slower the processor,
the more of a true SMP system it is.

It's obvious that you missed that point.

Writing code for a multicore is tougher, from SMP constraints viewpoint,
than for a bunch of 70Mhz cpu's that have a millisecond latency to
the other cpu's.

So it's far from demonstrating clusterprogramming. Lightyears away.

Emulation at a simple quadcore is in fact better representative than
this.

If you want to get closer to clusterprogramming than this, just buy
yourself off ebay
some barcelona core SMP system with 4 sockets. Say with energy
efficient 1.8Ghz CPU's.

So with one of the first incarnations of hypertransport, as of course
later on it dramatically improved.

Latency from cpu to cpu is some 300+ ns if you lookup randomly.

Even good programmers in game tree search have big problems working
with those latencies.

Clusters are having latencies that are far worse than that. Yet as
cpu speeds no longer increase much
and number of cores doesn't double that quickly, clusters are the way
to go if you're CPU hungry.

Setting up small clusters is cheap as well. If i put in the name
'mellanox' in ebay i see bunches of
cheap cards out there and also switches.

With a single switch you can teach half a dozen students. You can
just connect the machines you already
got there onto a few switches and write MPI code like that.

Average cost per student also will be a couple of hundreds of dollars.

Vincent