[Beowulf] A cluster of Arduinos

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Wed Jan 11 08:58:59 PST 2012

On 01/11/2012 11:18 AM, Lux, Jim (337C) wrote:

> For educational purposes..
>
> Has anyone done something where they implement some sort of message
> passing API on a network of Arduinos.  Since they cost only $20 each,
> and have a fairly facile development environment, it seems you could
> put together a simple demonstration of parallel processing and various
> message passing things.
>
> For instance, you could introduce errors in the message links and do
> experiments with Byzantine General type algorithms, or with multiple
> parallel routes, etc.
>
> I've not actually tried hooking up multiple arduinos through a USB hub
> to one PC, but if that works, it gives you a nice "head node, debug
> console" sort of interface.
>
> Smaller, lighter, cheaper than lashing together MiniITX mobos or
> building a Wal-Mart Cluster.

I started tinkering with Arduinos a couple of months ago. Got lots of
related goodies for Christmas, so I've been looking like a mad scientist
building arduino things lately. I'm still a beginner arduino hacker, but
I'd be game for giving this a try,  if anyone else wants to give this a go.

The Arduino Due, which is overdue in the marketplace, will have a
Cortex-M3 ARM processor.

--
Prentice