[Beowulf] Functionality of schedulers

Rayson Ho raysonlogin at gmail.com
Wed Feb 29 23:22:12 PST 2012

Almost every cluster job scheduler supports preemption (use it as the
google keyword and you will find lots of references...).

Torque has job preemption. I have not used Torque for a while (I used
to be an OpenPBS user) so I am not the best person to answer the
question for Torque. However, if you google "job preemption"+torque,
you should be able to find some useful info.

In Grid Engine (and now Open Grid Scheduler) there is Subordinate Queues:

Condor is well-known for cycle stealing, and it also offers the
checkpoint restart library for Open Grid Scheduler/Grid Engine and
other batch systems:

(I am sure that you can integrate checkpointing with Torque so you
don't need to look for a new batch system to get what you need.)

Open Grid Scheduler / Grid Engine

Scalable Grid Engine Support Program