[Beowulf] Pricing and Trading Networks: Down is Up, Left is Right

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Thu Feb 16 13:29:22 PST 2012

They don't hire their High Frequency Trading software people from ads. Personal recommendations, more likely.  The ads for Java coders are for run of the mill back end banking stuff. Most banks are doing their enterprise scale work in Java (which is replacing PowerBuilder, RPG, and COBOL).  Or Java interfaces to a SQL backend.

I don't know of any million dollar FPGAs.  Even space qualified big Xilinx parts are about a tenth of that.

Modern FPGAs could do substantially better than 1 microsecond latency.  They have multiGbps interfaces on chip (e.g. Rocket I/O) and external clocks in the hundreds of MHz range.  Now, if you're doing store and forward routing of 1000 bit packets on a 1Gbps wire, of course you're going to have 1 microsecond latency.