[Beowulf] Clusters just got more important - AMD's roadmap

Lux, Jim (337C) james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Wed Feb 8 09:55:23 PST 2012

We can probably look back to the history of non-integrated floating point for this kind of thing. 8087/8086, etc.

I used to work with a guy who was a key mover at Floating Point Systems, probably one of the first applications of "attached special purpose processor", and ALL of the issues we're talking about here came up in that connection, just as with coprocessors since time immemorial.

I think the real question is:  "does the fact we're doing this at a different scale, change any of the fundamental limitations or make something easier than it was the last time"