[Beowulf] On filtering

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Wed Feb 1 05:42:30 PST 2012

We seem to have morphed from a technical/business discussion into a meta
discussion on filtering.

In an ironical development, I am seriously considering filtering this
discussion.

For those who want/demand a strong moderation hand, I simply don't see
this happening.  Eugen's points about the strong contributers leaving
first doesn't appear to be the case here (or on any list I have ever
been on over the past ... 20-ish years) .  Likewise, a strong moderation
queue will do what its done to other mailing lists, with moderators whom
have day jobs, and thats to pretty much kill the discussion.  I can
point to a number where the moderation queue (used mostly for spam
filtering) has worked against free form discussion (as we have here).
Some of the lists on bioinformatics.org specifically demonstrate that
moderation isn't conducive to discussion.

For those who don't want moderation and prefer local filtering ...
procmail based, eyeball grep based (not egrep but close), the system
will continue to function.

Now that this is said, can we please .... PLEASE .... go back to our
regularly scheduled cluster(s) ?  Please ?

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO
email: landman at scalableinformatics.com