[Beowulf] CFD for dummies

John Hearns hearnsj at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 23 00:56:54 PST 2012

On Dec 22, 2012 9:16 PM, "Nathan Moore" <ntmoore at gmail.com> wrote:

> The only open-source cfd model I found in a 5 minute google search was
> openFOAM - is that a more or less standard solution for an airflow problem
> like this?
>
> Any replies would be interesting.

Yes, OpenFoam is the canonical open source CFD code.
I have found ti to be a bit of a bear to install - a particular version of
OpenFoam will depend on the particular version of GCC used to create it. So
you install a gcc in your build tree, then build all the libraries and
utilities that OpenFoam depends on, then build OpenFoam.

If you want to try out some things ther is an interesting Live CD with CAD,
Finite Element and CFD codes. Plus Paraview to look at the lovely pictures
at the end:

http://www.caelinux.com/