[Beowulf] DARPA issues 20 MUSD grant to nVidia to go from 1 GFLOPS/Watt to 75 GFLOPS/Watt

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Tue Dec 18 08:29:57 PST 2012

On Dec 18, 2012, at 5:16 PM, Lux, Jim (337C) wrote:

>>> 7 nm gives a factor 16 boost over 28 nm, in theory. So the
>>> derived truth from the article points me to double precision.
>
> I don't think there's a heck of a lot of "truth" to be derived from
> that short article. The DARPA MTO site gives more meaningful
> details on what they're looking for.

Just like you I doubt that's the real reason for the grant.

To me it seems like that Nvidia promises something to DARPA but it
isn't clear to me what Nvidia has to give back.
Only when we would see the signed contracts we know - and i bet those
are locked away.

In the meantime they just post around bla bla stories, the usual way
in how army guys work...