[Beowulf] DARPA issues 20 MUSD grant to nVidia to go from 1 GFLOPS/Watt to 75 GFLOPS/Watt

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Mon Dec 17 11:34:39 PST 2012

On Dec 17, 2012, at 8:15 PM, Lux, Jim (337C) wrote:

> I wasn't thinking so much about code efficiency, more "wall plug
> power" efficiency.  The board may consume 250W, but it will take
> non-zero power to support that board, and then the power supply
> efficiency needs to be taken into account.  But I suspect the 1
> GFLOP/W was more just an "old" "rounded off" number.

Considering how the article was written i doubt that's all inside the
calculation. Nvidia delivers a card which eats X watts and that
determines its efficiency.

If Darpa believes the 1 gflop/watt as todays standard.
Note that they mention explicit 1 gflop/watt at 28 nm and at 28 nm it's
actually 6 gflops/watt as shown.

Speaking of power supply efficiencies - they improved - at those
loads they can be easily up to 94%.
Usually they put in a $20 rackmount psu though.

Checkout the latest Corsair PSU's. Based upon the new Seasonic
platinum design.

Most of the psu's used nowadays in rackmounts do get around 90%
though at 50% load.

> Yes... it's very hard work to get to a real 75 GFLOP/Watt, but that
> is what DARPA is all about... High Risk, High Reward.  Somehow,
> though, I can't see building a new fab with smaller feature sizes
> for the paltry sum of 20M.

Nvidia's gpu's usually get produced at TSMC, so Nvidia in fact
doesn't need to worry at all about where to produce. That's TSMC's
problem.

Yeah intel had projected already years ago that such factories would
cost by the year 2020, not adjusted for inflation in fact,
20 billion dollar a factory.

They could be right.

Even AMD's factory had a cost of 4.66 billion dollar and i bet that
the state in question (New York), took the cost on it of near free
building ground and other billions of dollars offers to get them
build that factory there.

> More like they'll do some architecture studies, a pile o'modeling
> (if we DID invest $1B in a new fab, here's what you might be able
> to do), and do a bunch of work on things like failure tolerant
> architectures (if you have a sea of processors, and X% are dead at
> any given time, how do you write software to run on that sea)
>
> I wonder what Nvidia chips are used in Audis and BMWs?

Maybe some 10k Tesla's or similar in a datacenter in Munich :)

Would be amazed if a single Tegra SoC gets used, as those are not so
dirt cheap (so do not qualify actually for the car industry).
Maybe in the numbers the car industry uses them, Nvidia offered it
cheap though.

> The video display

> , perhaps: there's a nifty 3D rendered view of the GPS mapping info
> in the new BMWs?  I don't see a real need for that kind of
> horsepower in an Engine Control Unit.  Maybe in a smart cruise
> control that does station keeping, or in a collision avoidance
> system.  Actually, I don't really see Nvidia being in the "safety
> critical" space at all.

Each car has a 100 cpu's or so!