[Beowulf] liquid cooling for HPC

Einar Rustad er at numascale.com
Wed Dec 5 04:41:38 PST 2012

On 5. des. 2012, at 10:50, Jörg Saßmannshausen <j.sassmannshausen at ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I am sure the subject has been covered a number of times, however, I have been
> to the Machine Evaluation Workshop last week here in Liverpool and this
> company here
> http://www.iceotope.com/
> done something which I found rather unusual. Rather then using pipes to cool
> the CPUs or dipping the whole node into silicon oil (messy) or water, they are
> using a hydrofluoro carbon compound to move the heat from the motherboard to a
> chilling plate. There are pros and cons of course. As the whole motherboard is
> sealed into the box you cannot change it yourself. It needs to be send back to
> them. On the flip side, it appears the the excess heat could be used a bit more
> efficiently.

Seymour Cray pioneered the fluorocarbon cooling in the Cray-2, I believe he used
some 144 gallons of the stuff for the whole machine which was housed in a tank with
transparent windows "so you could see more Cray":-). The liquid was pumped around
and cooled in a heat exchanger.
This molecules in this type of liquid can be designed with different boiling temperatures.
As far as I can recall one version (not the one used by Cray) can boil at 27 degrees C at
normal atmospheric pressure and such be used in a heat pipe without having to actively
pump it around.