[Beowulf] NFSoIB and SRP benchmarking

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 27 10:13:21 PDT 2012

On Aug 27, 2012, at 4:50 PM, Andrew Holway wrote:

>> Which chip is on the motherboard doing that and how many disks can it
>> host?
>
> We shall probably use a few of the MegaRAID 9280 controllers in
> passthrough mode. These are easily capable of handling 2 or 3 GB/s.

With a few cards in it will be 2GB/s for readspeed. Which isn't bad.

With just 1 at the benchmark it achieves with 16 SSD's the 3GB/s
readspeed though.
Which is pretty impressive.

The problem of course is the price of the drives there, 16 SSD's, if
you want to store something on
them that is, that's not cheap :)

Cheap on ebay now are 36GB and 73GB U320 disks, yet i didn't see a
cheap raid controller that can have a ton
of them AND get to 2GB/s or so.

My struggle is to get to a 60 TB raid array though, though seems i
have to wait a few years for that :)