[Beowulf] RFC: Restrict posting to subscribers only ?

Prentice Bisbal prentice.bisbal at rutgers.edu
Fri Aug 24 06:51:49 PDT 2012

Doesn't the subscription confirmation e-mail kind of handle this
already? I suspect spammers send from random or fictitious addresses and
don't check (or even receive) email sent to those addresses, so it's
unlikely they'll be confirmed as subscribers to the mailing list.

I think Greg raises an excellent point that we shouldn't reply to
spammers. Perhaps we should just silently ignore posts from
non-subscribers. If they are real humans, they should figure it out
easily enough that they need to subscribe to post. Most mailing lists
have a web page advertising the list, with instructions on how to
subscribe to the list and list policy, such as needing to subscribe in
order to post. I think that should be adequate to keep spam away but not
real humans.

Besides, don't we hate when people post something that clearly indicates
they didn't RTFM? ;)

--
Prentice