[Beowulf] advice for newbie

Vincent Diepeveen diep at xs4all.nl
Mon Aug 20 00:12:38 PDT 2012

Look at ebay, there is cheap machines there $150 or less for 8 core
Xeons L5420,
i'm using those as well. For that $150 you get 8GB ram as well.

Boot them over the network.

That's 16 * $150 = $3k.

Now there might be a difference between my and your wishes.
For me the network is important so i bought pci-e 2.0 motherboards;

In short i bought each component separate which is more expensive
than $150.

And those rackmounts make huge noise; i'm doing it here with 14 CM
fans that's not so noisy,
but i assume your institute has a spare room that may make people who
walk their deaf before
they're 30.

As for you, buy 8 drives SATA from 2 TB and a $30 raid card from ebay
Those raid cards 2nd hand
are dirt cheap especially the pci-x ones and with 8 drives you won't
get a bigger bandwidth
anyway and most those online nodes have that.

They're 100 euro a piece here those drives. So that's 800 euro = $1k
or so. And $30 from
ebay for a total superior raid card. Put them in a ready rackmount
that allows such drives,
it's a couple of hundreds of dollars on ebay, with the same L5420's
and motherboards and 8GB
ram. So say a $500 for that rackmount with drives you can plug in.

Put in the drives, build a raid6 partition and your fileserver , the
17th machine, it's ready to serve you
at around a 700MB/s readspeed.

Now i don't know the latest about genome research; the last Phd
student i helped out
there, his university used 90s software to do his research.

That really required big crunching for months for each calculation,
at hundreds of cpu's,
yet new commercial software finished within 15 minutes each
calculation at a single core.

That 90s software uses MPI if i recall but that'll depend upon what
sort of software your
guys want to use.

You might want to decide next to buy the cheapest gigabit switch you
can get, in order to
boot all the nodes over the network using pci-e.

It's possible those motherboards won't boot over infiniband, some might.

Then i'd really advice you buy a cheap 2nd hand switch infiniband,
maybe DDR, of $300 or so.
Cables $20 a piece times 17 = $140, and a bunch of 2nd hand DDR
infiniband cards and put
each one in each machine.

So after boot over the gigabit switch, assuming the motherboards
don't boot over infiniband,
they might boot actually over infiniband in which case you don't need
the gigabit switch,
then in that case infiniband will take over and can serve you either
as 10 gigabit network
cards or for the MPI that much software in that area needs.

So all what's left is buy a 17 infiniband cards DDR 2nd hand off
ebay. Not sure about prices,
maybe a $80 maybe $100. a piece. Let's say it's under $1600

Now you're done with a 16 node cluster with 17 machines from which 1
is fileserver,
for a part of the budget you had in mind.

Just it's noisy and loud.

Also it's pretty low power compared to alternatives. It'll eat a 180
watt a node or so under full load. It's 170 watt a node
here under full load (but that's with a much better psu).

As for software to install in case you decide for infiniband, your
choices are limited as OpenFED doesn't give
much alternatives.

Fedora Core or Scientific Linux are for free and probably your only 2
options if you want to use free software
that are easy to get things done as you want to.

Then install OpenFED that has the openmpi and other infiniband stuff
for free.

Probably Debian works as well, provided you use the exact kernel that
OpenFED recommends.
Any other kernel won't work. So you have to download some older
debian then, get the exact kernel recommended
and then i guess OpenFED will install as well.

Good Luck,
Vincent