[Beowulf] materials for air shroud?

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Fri Sep 16 08:35:09 PDT 2011

Predicting airflow, especially in the turbulent regime, is not trivial,
and not always intuitive. Just ask John Hearns about that. He works for
McLaren's F1 team, and I bet they spend A LOT of computational power
studying the aerodynamics of their cars (I'm sure the exact amount is a
closely guarded secret).

Luxi, I'm sure, could pipe in, too.

>From my experience, that's one of the factors that sets the large server
companies, like Dell, HP, Sun, etc. apart from the smaller companies.
These larger companies have the larger resources and the  engineering
resources to model the airflow through their servers and it's effect on
heat transfer.

Here's an anectdote about this issue:

A certain national lab had incentives to use woman-owned and
minority-owned businesses. So when they needed to buy ~200 cluster
nodes, they went to a local small business that fit these criteria. I
never saw the actual servers myself but sounded like the company bought
generic 1U cases, and then put generic/commodity server components in
them. I'm sure they didn't to any airflow or thermal analysis on the
finished product.

After the cluster was brought online, they started having significant
hardware reliability problems, and overheating was one of those
problems, which could have been the cause of the other reliability
problems, since hardware failures usually increase with increased temps.

Moral of this story and all this noise? Airflow can be a tricky thing,
especially in a challenging conduit, like a 1U or 2U server.

--
Prentice