[Beowulf] materials for air shroud?

Prentice Bisbal prentice at ias.edu
Wed Sep 14 06:02:21 PDT 2011

Instead of a soldering iron, have you tried using just an old clothing
iron? That should have a more adjustable temperature setting. And once
it's heated up, you can fold it like origami paper. (I challenge this
list to produce an origami crane this way!)

I would keep a large bowl of cold water nearby, so that after you make
your folds, you can dunk your finished product in the cold water to
thermoset the plastic.

For cutting the plastic, I highly recommend these Wiss MultiMaster
multi-purpose shears:

http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/CF_Files/model_detail.cfm?upc=037103126481

I bought them to cut up a rug, thinking I'd never use them again. They
are now probably one of the most used tools in my toolbox. They cut
through everything: sheetmetal, hardware cloth, zip-ties, obnoxious
plastic packaging - you name it! Since they have a compound action, you
don't need to use a lot of force, which makes it easier to control your
cuts. I think I paid $12-$15 at Lowe's for mine, and they're worth every
penny.