[Beowulf] SGE qconf, renaming hosts/queues?

Kilian CAVALOTTI kilian.cavalotti.work at gmail.com
Thu Sep 8 00:04:14 PDT 2011

Hi David,

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 1:05 AM, mathog <mathog at caltech.edu> wrote:
> Failing that, is there an easy way to dump
> the host/queue description to a text file, edit
> that, and then re-create from the modified descriptions?  There are a
> bunch of text configuration files in the
> SGE directory, but I'm  guessing that editing/renaming those directly
> is a big no no.

Well, it'd probably work, but the risk is to forget some.

Instead, you can use qconf to dump queue definitions. Something along
the lines of:

# qconf -sql | while read QUEUE ; do
    echo "****************** ${QUEUE} **********************"
    qconf -sq ${QUEUE}
done

For host renaming, though, the safest route is probably to:

0. remove the old queues (qconf -dq <queue>)
1. remove old nodes from SGE configuration (qconf -de <old_hostname>
for execution hosts)
2. change hostnames on the old nodes (depends on your OS)
3. re-add the new old nodes (qconf -ae <new_hostname> for execution hosts)
4. recreate the queues from the previous dump (qconf -aq <queue>, and
paste/edit the dumps)

Cheers,
--
Kilian