[Beowulf] $1, 279-per-hour, 30, 000-core cluster built on Amazon EC2 cloud

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Mon Oct 3 12:21:44 PDT 2011

On Mon, 3 Oct 2011, Rayson Ho wrote:

> There's a free & opensource application called StarCluster that can do
> most (if not all?) of the EC2 provisioning & cluster setup for a High
> Throughput Computing cluster:

I will say that if anyone is going to make this work, it is going to be
Amazon and/or Google -- they have the very very big pile of computers
needed to make it work.  I would be very interested in seeing the
detailed scaling of "fine grained parallel" applications on cloud
resources -- one point that the talk made that I agree with is that
embarrassingly parallel applications that require minimal I/O or IPCs
will do well in a cloud where all that matters is how many instances you
can run of jobs that don't talk to each other or need much access to
data.  But what of jobs that require synchronous high speed
communications?  What of jobs that require access to huge datasets?

Ultimately the problem comes down to this.  Your choice is to rent time
on somebody else's hardware or buy your own hardware.  For many people,
one can scale to infinity and beyond, so using "all" of the
time/resource you have available either way is a given.  In which case
no matter how you slice it, Amazon or Google have to make a profit above
and beyond the cost of delivering the service.  You don't (or rather,
your "profit" is just the ability to run your jobs and get paid as usual
to do your research either way).  This means that it will always be
cheaper to directly provision a lot of computing rather than run it in
the cloud, or for that matter at an HPC center.  Not all -- lots of
nonlinearities and thresholds associated with infrastructure and admin
and so on -- but a lot.  Enough that I don't see Amazon's Pinky OR the
Brain ever taking over the (HPC) world...

    rgb