[Beowulf] Intel unveils 1 teraflop chip with 50-plus cores

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Nov 16 03:27:47 PST 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 12:04:50PM +0100, Vincent Diepeveen wrote:
> Well,
>
> If it's gonna use 2 pci-express slots, for sure it's eating massive
> power, just like the gpu's.

It's not too bad for an 1997 Top500 equivalent (well, at least
as far as matrix multiplication is concerned).

> Furthermore the word 'double precision' is nowhere there, so we can
> safely assume single precision.

It's double precision.

> Speaking of which - isn't nvidia and amd already delivering cards
> that deliver a lot?

Kepler is supposed to get 1.3 TFlops in DGEMM when it's out.
Intel touts that Knights Corner produces 1 TFlop consistently
indedepent of matrix (block) size.

The vector unit is 512 bits, Knights Landing will boost
that to 124 bits, supposedly.

Source: http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Supercomputer-2011-CPU-mit-Many-Integrated-Cores-knackt-1-TFlops-1379625.html

> AMD's HD6990 is 500 euro and delivers a 5+ Tflop and supposedly so in
> openCL.
>
> Knowing intel is not delivering hardware dirt cheap - despite
> hammering the bulldozer, bulldozer
> so far is cheaper than any competative intel chip - though might
> change a few months from now when the 22nm
> parts are there.

Parts like these will be useful for gamer markets, so
presumably nVidia or AMD will be only too happy to leap
into any gap that Intel offers.