[Beowulf] HP redstone servers

Rayson Ho raysonlogin at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 13:03:27 PST 2011

ARM is an interesting platform that offers better performance/power
ratio than x64 processors. I don't think ARM will eat into HPC shares
of AMD/Intel/IBM POWER or enter the TOP500 list any time soon.
However, I am expecting to see ARM in high throughput environments in
the near future. Thus, we are announcing that the next version of Grid
Engine released by the Grid Scheduler open project will support ARM
Linux.

We tested SGE on an ARMv7 box. As the SGE code is 64-bit clean, when
64-bit ARM processors come out in the next year or two, our version
should/will compile & work out of the box.

Rayson

=================================
Grid Engine / Open Grid Scheduler
http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net

On Tue, Nov 1, 2011 at 10:10 PM, Bill Broadley <bill at cse.ucdavis.edu> wrote:
> The best summary I've found:
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/01/hp_redstone_calxeda_servers/
>
> Specifications at for the ECX-1000:
> http://www.calxeda.com/products/energycore/ecx1000/techspecs
>
> And EnergyCard:
> http://www.calxeda.com/products/energycards/techspecs
>
> The only hint on price that I found was from theregister.co.uk:
>  The sales pitch for the Redstone systems, says Santeler, is that a
>  half rack of Redstone machines and their external switches
>  implementing 1,600 server nodes has 41 cables, burns 9.9 kilowatts,
>  and costs $1.2m.
>
> So it sounds like for 6 watts and $750 you get a quad core 1.4 GHz arm
> 10G connected node.
>
> Comments?

Rayson