[Beowulf] IBM's Watson on Jeopardy tonight

Karen Shaeffer shaeffer at neuralscape.com
Thu Mar 10 15:23:31 PST 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 01:06:35PM -0500, Robert G. Brown wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Feb 2011, "C. Bergström" wrote:
> >>We are, but that problem is, well, "hard".  As in grand challenge hard.
> >I wonder how you'd really describe the human brain learning in terms of a
> >programming model....
> Well, AI researchers tend to have two answers.  One is semantic and the
> other is microscopic.  The semantic description is
> functional/operational, broken down in terms of e.g. conditionals and
> logical elements, and doesn't come close to explaining consciousness
> (see Searle's "Chinese Room" objection):

Well, IBM is presenting "Inside the mind of Watson" at Stanford University
on March 14. The speaker is Chris Welty of IBM. There are actually several
presentations. Here is one:

There is another one at 12:15 PM earlier that day associated with the
symbolic systems group. Those are often open to the public, if you
ask for permission to attend.

 Karen Shaeffer
 Neuralscape, Palo Alto, Ca. 94306